Friday, September 21, 2012

Happy Birthday, Uncle Stevie

There seems to be a severe lack of SK pics around the web, unfortunately, so I bring you this picture that has been posted previously! It's really a nice one. You know, with the Corgi and all.

Apparently, I've had my head under a rock and completely forgot that September 21st is Stephen King's birthday. How could I forget? Kathleen and I chatted about this via email a few months ago, and then somehow, who knows... it just slipped my mind. My apologies.

So in case you were wondering, Mr. King was born on September 21, 1947 in Portland, Maine. With more than 300 million copies of his books sold throughout the years since the early 1970s, it's clear that he's cemented his legacy in literary (yes, I did say literary) history. So please tip your hat, drink, or whatever you prefer, in his honor.


Which takes me to the Insatiable Booksluts' fantastic site, and while they are indie book reviewers, they have an extremely soft spot in their hearts for Uncle Stevie. Apparently, I was under yet another rock and missed announcements of Stephen King Week at their page, until Mandy at Adventures in Borkdom posted that she contributed with an article about the "Stephen King Universe," which is quite the valuable reference for fans to truly grasp that Stephen King is so much, much more than just one book, and that, in fact, each book may actually be one piece of a bigger story. Brilliant stuff! There are other posts this week relating to Stephen King's focus on battered and abused women, the stories that are adapted into bad, or amazing, films, and more. One of my favorite posts is the advice on how to speak with someone who responds condescendingly when you tell them you read Stephen King books. Good stuff, folks, with more to come this week!

I encourage you all to head on over to the Insatiable Booksluts' page for book reviews and more, and to throw your hat up and cheer to celebrate Stephen King Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment